Cutest Blog on the Block

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Independence Day in the Mother Country

Day 23

Yep it was the 4th of July and I was in the very country we had fought to gain that independence.  But if may not have been exactly what you would think would happen.  There were no flags or parades or candy or fireworks.  It was just another day of the year to them.  They weren't excited, but nor were they upset at the fact that we left the Empire so long ago.  I heard one or two cracks about it, but no more.

Now this was my day to do all the things I wanted to do that Aubs and I didn't get around to.  There weren't a ton, just two in particular.  First and I know it might be funny, but I am an avid reader and one of my favorites is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.  And believe it or not they have a Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street.  So laugh all you want, I went and enjoyed myself.

Something I found really funny was the fact that you have to go into the souvenir shop to buy your ticket, before you go into the house.  I didn't buy any, because honestly most of them didn't make me jump for joy and they were seriously expensive.  Not worth it when I already have all the books and the audio, maybe someday when I am made of cash I can spend it on all the lovely frivolous stuff.

Have to love that address.

And the bobby that stood out front and let us in slowly...and posed for pictures.

As I was all on my sad and lonely I had to take a picture of myself in the room.  It was much smaller than I had always imagined.  The look of it was just right, although maybe a little cleaner than it would have been if Sherlock Holmes had actually been there that day.

The hats and kind clay pipe.

The famous violin.

The Albert Memorial
If anyone ever doubted that Queen Victoria loved her husband, however odd their courtship may have been, the proof is in her behavior for the rest of her life.  He was not only remembered, but honored and revered and possibly even a rather unhealthy obsession by her for the rest of her years.  After all the reading I have done about her and her family through her letters, journals, and historical literature.

I told you that people had a thing about feeding the squirrels, but this sign proves it better than any pictures.

In every corner that is a representation of a the four major continents: Europe, Asia, Africa, and America.  They were fun representations of the Empire.





Encased in Gold for eternity.

Took me a while to actually frame this shot.  I mean it takes more work to take a picture of yourself than it looks.

I was headed to the Victoria and Albert Museum just down the road when I saw a spire and some very familiar typeface.  Then I noticed the Christus Statue in the window.

It turned out to be the Hyde Park Chapel on Exhibition Street in London.  Which also works as a Visitor's Center, Mission Home, and even more.  Amazing to find a home away from home around every corner.

And I spent at least 2-3 hours there with the very sweet Sister Brooks.  We looked at Mormon Messages and such.  Also I saw the Joseph Smith video.  She was so kind to be my friend when I was left alone to travel the world by myself.  Due to my own decisions mind you.

Okay and I just found this really cool.  We were on the map, well the church was.  They have these you are within 5 or 15 minute maps around all the touristy places and the LDS Church apparently made the cut.  Wahoo!

On to the Museum.  I pretty much only looked at stuff of Victoria and Albert.
The Opening of The Great Exhibition

The Glass Palace

Her chair, or at least with her on it.

Medal Winning-Vases

Personal bust, wasn't she pretty.

Aren't they so cute dancing together?  I always say that there is nothing more romantic.

Better together than ever could be apart.

Queen Victoria in her Coronation Robes

Empress of India

Raphael Room, I wasn't actually supposed to take pictures, but I didn't see the sign, whoops.

So sorry this one is so fuzzy; I was actually moving in these great spinning chairs at the entrance. You can certainly enjoy the fabulous fun of childhood like behavior.
Here it is not moving.

The Main Entrance that I actually exited from.
Modern art everywhere, aren't they a little weird sometimes?  And odd locations.

I went home and enjoyed an easy evening with TV and packing for I had a farewell flight the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment