Cutest Blog on the Block

Sunday, July 22, 2012

118 Islands, Did you know?

Day 12

It is true that Venice is made up of 118 islands and so now that the public transportation, a WATER BUS system, was running again we decided to go and explore some of them.  And I would say that it is far wiser and just as fun if not more than the gondolas even if it isn't as iconic for Venice.  We got a 12 hour pass and loved every minute of it riding out on the open sea.


Window boxes and the like should be a mandatory.

 I wish I had sunnies (sunglasses).

Murano---an island known for glass-blowing was our first stop.
And this is what a bus stop looks like in Venice.

Look there is visible land on this island ;)

There was a free demonstration on the island of how they make the glass (very clever because it gets you in the door and then you spend all your money on souvenirs; we did each buy a piece of jewelry as they were half off and then at a stand we each got a little something else: mine was a picture frame, thank goodness they wrapped it in bubble wrap and tape or I would never have gotten it home in one piece).  The one man explained in English and Italian what the master is doing in making the shapes.  We saw him make a simple clear vase and a horse figurine.  It took him no more than 4 minutes a piece and the master certainly made it look awfully simple.  
What a fantastic skill!
 Can you imagine using tongues to pull at them and having to pull figuring in the pull of gravity and the spinning you are putting on it and not to mention the time crunch as the glass begins to cool.
I couldn't even think of how long you have to apprentice.

It was just plain funny to see this as we were waiting for the bus.

Cimitero--the cemetery and monastery island was next.
Unfortunately you could not take any pictures on the island so these are the ones I took from the outside.  However, it was absolutely peaceful and reverent even.  You could not put your loved one a more perfect place to rest in the afterlife.  I was able to sit and think and enjoy watching a cute old lady tend some of the plots.  A nice little surprise for me was to see a beautiful magnolia tree there, just like the one in my backyard.

 We saw the Venetian version of a hearse passing us.

 Just quaint.

In the very back you can see Venice on its separate island.

 Finally we returned to Venice but we went to the other side of the island from where we were staying and visited San Marco, the main tourist attraction known by name in the city.  I must say it was a piece of history that surprised me but I am certainly glad we didn't stay anywhere near here--way too many people.


I was interesting to watch people be extremely entertained by the birds.  
This girl was feeding them and ended up getting a large crowd around her.

 Doesn't she look a part of the architecture?

Piazza's clock, beautiful bells

 Look at those amazing Byzantine paintings and architecture.


Riding the lion, just as he should be.

It took us a few tries to get the angle right on this one but in the end it turned out pretty well don't you think.

On our way home on the bus it started raining!  All the other passengers hid in the center and underneath in the hull, but Aubrey and I just leaned out and enjoyed it.  It was warm and large drops, lovely.  It reminded me of home, but I am sure we were rather odd tourists to be seen.  The shower was short but sweet and oh thank goodness cooled off the temperature at least ten degrees.


We did feel a little bad for those in the gondolas when the storm started.

During our siesta time we heard chanting and looked out our windows to see an anti-abortion rally.  Go team!  I love that good morals can be seen everywhere.


I also found a very comfy and beautiful place to write in my journal of all our doings.


Dinner that night was the best yet.  We walked a long way trying to find a restaurant that would serve us chicken parmesan, but it does not exist there, I promise we looked.  Finally we stopped at a restaurant with a waiter who taught me how to say good evening instead of just good day.  You wouldn't think you should correct the customer, but it was one of my favorite bits.  I liked learning a little bit more of the place I was visiting; it makes the experience more real.  I got a fabulous muscle pasta dish and we got serenaded by a cute old man with an accordion.

I smiled more than I can say when I realized he was playing the song "Que Sera Sera" just like hearing my mother's voice singing to me at night--made me a little homesick.

On our way home we passed the one and only McDonalds of Venice, and we stopped to get food for our meals on Sunday.  What an adorable little store to see and enjoy, but I certainly did not enjoy having to point at things to communicate what I want.  Language is a peculiar little thing.



We also stopped to enjoy the most fabulously colorful sunset I have ever seen.  Never before have I had more desire to be able to paint what I saw.

 A picture is worth a thousand words, and in this case maybe a little more.

 As we rested I even sang Aubrey all the cute verses of Que Sera Sera.
 A mark of friendship if I have ever seen one.



Dream of beauty and may it help you see the good and great in everything, everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment