Cutest Blog on the Block

Monday, July 30, 2012

A Rainy Day in Cambridge

Day 21

So I slept that night on Aubrey's floor curled up in her comforter.  Not the most comfortable place to sleep but it wasn't really set up for extras and I did sleep so no big deal.  She got up and went to orientation such and I slept in and got ready.

The Snug
 I walked to the place next door for the biggest English Breakfast ever: baked beans, British bacon, a sausage link, hash browns, toast, a tomato, and mushrooms.  I couldn't believe I ate it all and washed it down with a lovely cup of hot cocoa.  My waitress was really nice, and I had the whole place to myself.

I then headed out to explore the city as Aubs had so much to do in getting everything ready for school and her flat and was not sure when she would be done, plus the lovely fact that neither of us had cell phones as a way of contacting each other.  I mean being unplugged was so relaxing, but the convenience of communication is a wonder.

As it was raining I ducked into a shop and found the cutest clear bubble umbrella and from then on was undaunted by the weather no matter what it did.  I found a cute bookshop and saw all the Harry Potter books with fun covers.

This the bench where I sat and red one of the books I bought as a souvenir.  People watching was fun too.

One of the colleges of Cambridge, did you know that Cambridge University is not actually a single college, but 31 one self-governing institutions that run themselves almost entirely separate of each other.

If you notice this store was established in 1689?  How many times can you say you have seen something like that, but in Cambridge it is not uncommon, very cool though.

Wish I could have been there for that.




People ride bikes everywhere and it is the perfect size town to do it in.


A grasshopper clock.


Punting on the river.



Don't sit there!
 The Fitzwilliam Museum

It was so rainy and cold that I went back to the Snug for a second cup of hot cocoa and to just sit and read.

 So cozy.

I also watched part of Wimbledon on the TV.  It was on everywhere in England and rather captivating to watch.


 They were going to have a 4th of July celebration the next day.  What a thought!

I met up with Aubrey that night and we went to the FHE group with all the other Cambridge people and it made me wish I were staying and enjoying their company and the learning experience instead of heading back to London and home so soon. 

Oh and Aubrey showed me a few things of her college. Pembroke Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment